Despite losing some older titles yesterday, there are a ton of great movies that have come out today and recently on Netflix; so if you haven’t browsed recently, check this list out and watch anything you haven’t seen before (Instant Watcher links, click “Play” on the left of the page for the Netflix link):
1. Pulp Fiction – If you haven’t seen it, see it. Pulp Fiction was added to Netflix May 2nd, and is one of Tarentino’s defining works.
2. Beowulf – An epic story told through CGI, allowing them to animate everything without limits. Great voice acting by Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright, and Crispin Glover; and great modeling for naked CG scenes by Angelina Jolie.
3. Mission Impossible II – The good one. Sit back and enjoy the action.
4. Defiance – This is an emotional true story about 4 brothers fighting back against the Nazis in World War II. The story of the Bielski partisans in Belarus should be known by more people.
5. Chinatown – This 1974 drama/noir classic was also added to Netflix on May 2nd, and is widely considered one of the best films ever made.
6. Street Fighter – So bad it’s good! Don’t make your girlfriend sit through this hating every minute, but do grab a beer and microwave popcorn and laugh at this ludicrously awesome movie.
7. The Call of Cthulhu – Based on H. P. Lovecraft’s dark and inspiring story, this movie made in 2005 was filmed as if it were a 1920’s horror film. There’s a reason Lovecraft’s Cthulhu has stuck in people’s minds for generations.
8. Ken Burns: The National Parks: America’s Best Idea – This documentary explains the important struggle to preserve and protect our greatest natural areas by naming them national parks. See the incredible views, learn why they’re so important, and enjoy narration from Tom Hanks, John Lithgow, and George Takei.
9. Day Watch – The second in a Russian novel trilogy: Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch. You can start with Day Watch and not miss too much, though if you haven’t seen it, Night Watch is also great and available on Amazon Instant. It follows the fantasy story of The Others: possessors of supernatural powers owing allegiance either to The Dark – the Day Watch – or The Light – the Night Watch.
10. Tie: A Royal Affair / What to Expect When You’re Expecting – Both were added to Netflix at the end of April, and the choice is yours whether you’re in the mood for a historical character drama following the court of 18th-century Denmark, or a romantic comedy about the ups and downs of pregnancy.